Intensity for immensity - Sickness for Thickness - sizeBIGGER!



Friday, January 8, 2010

Just another leg’s day


As always I warm up my legs with some form of isometrics, holding a flex/pose and squeezing a muscle contraction, forcing a blood pump.


Since the leg damage is going to start with squats, I used the squat rack to warm up my hamstrings by holding my foot behind me, pressing on the side of the rack, as I would a wall, squeezing my hams and filling up my legs with blood. In between those, I’ll a squat stretch, where I’ll squat down pressing my arms in between my legs pushing them open and really stretching the groin, this helps get your legs prepare to squat. After about 10 minutes of this, I’m ready to start

135 for the first set and for me the first set, sets the bar for the rest. I need to get a nice blood pump going right away for the heavier sets do not kill me. Correct form is key, making sure my hip joint passes my knee joint when traveling down, making sure my shoulder blades are squeezed tight and my chest is up, making sure I’m sitting and push on my heels more than my toes, making sure that when I’m pushing, my knees move out instead of in and that they point in the direction of my feet and that I bring my hips up and forward when I’m driving the squat up, always keeping the tension on my qlutes.

185 for the second set, again not counting the reps and just doing them until my legs feel right, then onto 225 again not counting, then to 275, then to 315 and back down to 225 to end. I always like to do a lighter set at the end to try and get even more blood into my legs and I find doing a lighter set at the end does that for me.

I don’t ever really count my reps, I tend to go by feel, I look for a certain pump/burn and when I reach that end, I’ll push for more until I absolutely can’t do another, this has always worked best for me.

For me, when I used to shoot for a specific number of reps, I felt that was where I would stop and I didn’t want to stop until I couldn’t do anymore, not at some number I put in my head

From there I went to legs presses (I rotate between hacks and presses). I started with 5 plates on each side and did as many as I could. I worked my way up to 10 plates each side and I could have gone heavier but, I was adding one plate at a time and had already done 6 sets. Some days I’ll add 2 plates each side at a time and get to 12 or 13 a side and this also depends on what press machine I use, some only fit 10 plates a side.

At this point my quads were pretty trashed, so I moved onto leg extensions for 5 sets, to try as squeeze some more blood into them and also try to get some feeling back. They become so pumped I can’t feel them enough to contract them.

Next came lying down leg curls for 5 sets followed by that ass movement I like to do, off the same machine I’m doing the legs curls on, for 3 sets.

Standing calf raises today followed by seated 5 sets each and that’s all she wrote for today.

I only did 1 exercise of isolated hamstring curls, because I’ve added dead lifts on Saturday which I’ll turn into another ham workout, where I’ll do more isolated hamstring curls along with stiff legged dead lifts. So I’m hitting my hams twice a week

This was kind of a light day of training, in term of the amount of exercises, but I got the job done and as I’m writing 3 days later, my legs are trashed!

Time for a protein drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment